I don't normally post about work...
But we had the best assembly this week at school and I had to share some video from it.
Former NFL star, Shawn Harper is now a motivational speaker. And a great one at that!
There is no fancy music, no special visual effects...just him, a towel and a frying pan!
He kept 300 students (age 5-8) engaged for over 30 minutes. These kids couldn't take their eyes off him. Partly because of his size,but mainly because he spoke in a way that they wanted to listen. He spoke about holding on to your dreams, being 'buddies, not bullies,' and working hard on the little things so you can be successful on the big things. And the he rolled a frying pan up like a burrito and ripped a phone book in half with his bare hands. :)
I have a couple great videos I want to post, but blogger is giving me trouble...
At one point he asked the students who wanted a dollar? He showed 2 dollar bills and kept asking who wanted it. Of course every kid (except Wyatt since there would be no way he would go up there!) raised their hand. Then he told a story about having a dream to play in the NFL but getting kicked out of 2 schools. He talked about going after your dreams not waiting for someone to bring them to you. After a couple minutes of this, some of us adults realized he wanted students to 'come get what they wanted.' So we told two students to go get the money. Little did we know these students would get a piggy back ride out of it. :)
Our school counselor also got a piggy back ride! :)
After the assembly I asked if I could get a quick picture of him and Cash (My student who went and took the dollar). I cracked up when he lifted him and held him like he weighed 10 pounds :)
My favorite quote for him was
"You are not born winners or losers, you are born CHOSERS"


No comments:
Post a Comment